It is the mission of the Surplus Property Officer to:
- Collect and evaluate unneeded personal property from County departments and to re-allocate, liquidate, recycle, or dispose of County owned, unneeded, personal property.
- Offer property to County departments at no-cost and to save County agencies from investing in redundant product.
This is done in accordance with government code 25504 and County Ordinances 2.83.110 Transfer of Property, and 2.83.120 Disposal of Un-Needed Property.
Our mission also includes assisting in-county non-profit agencies, schools, and local public agencies that have a need for and can re-use our surplus property. Additionally, the Surplus Property Division liquidates excess surplus property through our County Surplus Property Store.
Vehicles are liquidated through our contracted auctioneer and scrap metal is sold responsibly for revenue. The re-use of equipment helps save our environment by keeping these items from landfill and reduces the natural resources used in manufacturing new equipment. The Division helps to further our Shared Vision 2025 objectives by preserving and enhancing natural resources.
Surplus Property Warehouse
The Surplus Property Store sells used surplus equipment such as furniture, computer equipment, and a variety of office equipment. The terms are cash or check with valid CDL, All items are sold "as is, where is" with no warranty. There is no advance preview offered.
OPEN 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM on designated Thursdays
Reuse: Our Green County
The County of San Mateo, on working towards becoming a Green Business, collects unneeded surplus property from departments and properly liquidate these assets and deposit all resulting revenues into the County Treasury.
The County does the following:
- Buy recycled content paper and utilize double-sided copying
- Offers equipment available to departments for no-cost which saves the County from spending on already available items.
- Donate to Nonprofit programs.
- Hold Surplus Property Store sales
- Recycle to save our natural resources.